Most commonly used phrases in English!

PHRASES !!




What are phrases? 
Phrases are like a small group of words standing together as a conceptual unit, typically forming a component of a clause.

Here are some phrases that are extremely common and useful to keep in mind for beginners learning English. 

1.     Thanks so much.

You can use this phrase to thank someone by combining it with adding more details.

Thanks so much for the ride home; you saved my day.
Thanks so much for stopping by at my shop, I hope you liked it.

2.     Excuse me.

You can politely use this when someone’s blocking your way or to get someone’s attention to yourself.

Excuse me; do you know when the teacher is going to come?
Excuse me sir, you are blocking my way.

P.S. – Keep in mind to be extremely polite when you use this phrase, it might sound rude if your tone is not proper.

3.     Hi! I’m [Name] (and you?)

Use this phrase to introduce yourself. This is the typical American way of doing it. We’re sure you’ll make some friends!

Hi! I’m Sally and you?
I’m Peter. How are you doing?

4.     Nice to meet you.

This phrase is used when you meet someone for the first time. It’s polite to say this and indicates that the other person is pleased to meet you.


Hi! I’m Sally, nice to meet you.
I’m Peter, nice to meet you too.

5.     Hey! How are you doing today?

This phrase means how are you, how is your day going?
In the US, people are sweet and greet each other without knowing them.

Hey! How are you doing today?
I’m good and you?
Yeah, I’m doing fine. Thank you.

6.     Have a nice day ahead/ Have a nice evening.

As mentioned the Americans are sweet and will wish you have a great day ahead whenever you and a conversation.

Alright, I’ll see you tomorrow. Have a nice day.
Yeah, you too. 


We hope this was useful. Please tell us in your comments. 

We'll get back with more of such stuff!

To know more about our courses. Please visit www.tamuk.edu/eltc/ or contact us at eltcrecruitment@tamuk.edu and (361)-593-2993.


Please like us on  Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter to stay connected.

Comments